Monday, July 18, 2011

Jacob's birthday cake

Originally, I had planned to do a carousel cake for Jacob, but Michaels was out of primary color fondant and I'm not enough of a fan of fondant to buy white and die it a bunch of different colors. When I saw the Candyland cake in a magazine last month, I thought it would make a cute cake and put it in my "do this" file. So, instead of the carousel cake, I had the Target bakery put together a couple small sections of white and chocolate cake and frosting a plain white base for me. At home, it was a matter of keeping Jacob away from the cake long enough to put it together (which, judging from the finger mark down on the bottom, I failed at). The squares are Starburst (there are supposed to be blue squares, too, but I was only willing to track down two differerent kinds), the trees are dum dum suckers, the chocolate trees are mini Reese's peanut butter cups with chocolate frosting piped on, and the candy castle is cut down ice cream cones with regular frosting piped on, sprinkles and red Dots. I was disappointed about not finding candy canes and a few other things, until I got home, looked at the directions, and realized that the cake in the picture was a full sheet cake that served 30-40. My puny 1/4 sheet cake didn't have nearly enough room to put everything on there anyway. Jacob enjoyed it, so I'm counting it as a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment